How can I make my Apache server more secure?
Apache Security – 10 Tips for a Secure Installation
- Disable the server-info Directive.
- Disable the server-status Directive.
- Disable the ServerSignature Directive.
- Set the ServerTokens Directive to Prod.
- Disable Directory Listing.
- Enable Only the Required Modules.
- Use An Appropriate User and Group.
- Restrict Unwanted Services.
Is Apache HTTP server safe?
The Apache HTTP Server has a good record for security and a developer community highly concerned about security issues.
How secure communication is done on Apache server?
Your secure server provides security using a combination of the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol and (in most cases) a digital certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA). SSL handles the encrypted communications as well as the mutual authentication between browsers and your secure server.
What is Apache modules?
Modules are service programs that can be dynamically linked and loaded to extend the nature of the HTTP Server. In this way, the Apache modules provide a way to extend the function of a Web server. Functions commonly added by optional modules include: Authentication.
How do I secure my web server?
How to secure your web server
- Remove unnecessary services.
- Create separate environments for development, testing, and production.
- Set permissions and privileges.
- Keep patches up to date.
- Segregate and monitor server logs.
- Install a firewall.
- Automate backups.
What is Apache vulnerability?
Log4Shell (CVE-2021-44228, CVE-2021-45046 and CVE-2021-45105) is a remote code execution (RCE) vulnerability that enables malicious actors to execute arbitrary Java code, taking control of a target server.
Does Apache use SSL or TLS?
The Apache HTTP Server module mod_ssl provides an interface to the OpenSSL library, which provides Strong Encryption using the Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security protocols.
What is cybersecurity Apache?
Apache Spot is a community-driven cybersecurity project, built from the ground up, to bring advanced analytics to all IT Telemetry data on an open, scalable platform. It is an open source software for leveraging insights from flow and packet analysis.
What Apache modules are installed?
Here are the steps to check which Apache modules are enabled.
- List Apache Modules. We will use apache2ctl -M command to list all the installed/enabled Apache modules. Apachectl is a linux command to control Apache web server.
- Check specific Apache modules. The above command will list all installed Apache modules.
Where are Apache modules located?
The module shared library files go in /usr/lib/apache2/modules , not that you should use your own when there’s a packaged version available.
What is SSL and SSL certificate?
An SSL certificate is a digital certificate that authenticates a website’s identity and enables an encrypted connection. SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, a security protocol that creates an encrypted link between a web server and a web browser.
Who prevents the Web server from attacks?
Typically a password, making it harder for outsiders to access. There are two main types of encryption: software and hardware encryption. Software encryption is more selective and focuses on encrypting individual files and folders.
Is Apache a security risk?
Apache, the world’s widely used web server software, has been a victim of notorious vulnerabilities time and again. These vulnerabilities render the server prone to various form of malicious attacks and other internet frauds leading to information theft and loss.
Is Apache vulnerable to Log4j?
The original Apache Log4j vulnerability (CVE-2021-44228), also known as Log4Shell, is a cybersecurity vulnerability on the Apache Log4j 2 Java library. This security flaw is a Remote Code Execution vulnerability (RCE) – one of the most critical security exposures.
How do I enable TLS 1.2 on Apache?
To enable TLS 1.2 only, proceed as follows:
- Become root .
- Open the Tomcat server configuration file opt/IGEL/icg/apache-tomcat-XXX/conf/server. xml with an editor.
- Add the attribute sslEnabledProtocols=”TLSv1.
- Save the changes.
- Restart the ICG as described under Controlling the ICG Daemon.
Does Apache support https?
Open your browser and access the HTTPS version of your website. The Apache server will display the HTTPS version of your website. Congratulations! You have finished the configuration of HTTPS on the Apache server.
Does Apache use Log4j?
Apache Log4j is a Java-based logging utility originally written by Ceki Gülcü. It is part of the Apache Logging Services, a project of the Apache Software Foundation. Log4j is one of several Java logging frameworks. Gülcü has since created SLF4J, Reload4j, and Logback which are alternatives to Log4j.
How do I know if Apache module is loaded?
- Use the following command to find out which Apache Modules are enabled/loaded in Linux: $ apache2ctl -M.
- Enabled/Loaded is another simple approach to acquiring a list of Apache Modules, as seen below — $ apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES.
How do I enable Apache modules?
To enable this module, follow these steps:
- Edit the main Apache configuration file at installdir/apache2/conf/httpd.conf and add the line shown below: LoadModule remoteip_module modules/mod_remoteip.so.
- Restart Apache and confirm that the module is active: Only use sudo if the stack was installed as root.
What is difference between TLS and SSL?
Transport Layer Security (TLS) is the successor protocol to SSL. TLS is an improved version of SSL. It works in much the same way as the SSL, using encryption to protect the transfer of data and information. The two terms are often used interchangeably in the industry although SSL is still widely used.
Who provides SSL certificate?
Certificate Authorities (CAs)
SSL certificates are issued by Certificate Authorities (CAs), organizations that are trusted to verify the identity and legitimacy of any entity requesting a certificate.
What are the 5 types of cyber attacks?
The different types of cyber-attacks are malware attack, password attack, phishing attack, and SQL injection attack.
Do all Apache Web servers use Log4j?
Apache httpd is NOT written in Java. Apache httpd does NOT use Apache log4j. Apache httpd is NOT subject to CVE-2021-44228.
Is Apache vulnerable to log shell?